Programs for Bilateral Cooperation

As the applications for several of these programs must be submitted by the German universities, a number of the websites here are in German. If you are interested in applying for funding through one of these programs, please refer your German partner to the appropriate website.

Funding for Student Exchange
  • Internationalen Studien- und Ausbildungspartnerschaften (ISAP) DAAD, with funds from the The German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), gives financial support for interenational study and training partnerships. Through ISAP scholarships are given to German and foreign students who complete a portion of their degree coursework abroad at a partner university, with the added benefit of a tuition waiver or significant tuition reduction. German universities are encouraged to develop not only attractive courses for foreign exchange students, but also credit transfer regulations, curriculum collaboration strategies, and/or dual degree structures which will lead to the lasting internationalization of both partner institutions.Click here for a list of current ISAP programs.
  • Funding for Integrated International Degree Programs with a Joint/Double Degree(website in German) The German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) has made up to eight years of funding available for the development of "Integrated International Degree Programs with a Joint/Double Degree" at German universities and universities of applied sciences (Fachhochschulen). All fields of study are eligible, although the proposed degree program must be targeted toward one particular field. Proposals for funding must be made by a German university and submitted to DAAD Bonn. North American universities should refer their German partner(s) to the above website (in German) for more information.
  • Transatlantic Degree Programs Project Can Joint and Double Degree Programs contribute to strengthening transatlantic exchange and cooperation between higher education institutions? How can these innovative and intensive but also highly sophisticated and challenging forms of inter-institutional collaboration be established and what does it take to run them successfully? These questions set the framework of the Transatlantic Degree Programs Project (TDP) run by the John-F.-Kennedy Institute at the Freie Universit├Ąt Berlin in cooperation with DAAD.
  • Studienreisen / Studienpraktika
    (website in German) German universities may apply to receive funding to bring a group of foreign students (including Americans and Canadians) to Germany for an internship visit. The students should learn practical skills through participation in lectures, seminars, workshops - all organized by the German partner university. North American universities should refer their German partner(s) to the above website for more information.

Funding for Research Cooperation
  • Programme des Projektbezogenen Personenaustausch (PPP)
    (website in German) DAAD, in cooperation with partner organizations in various countries, has established bilateral programs to promote international scientific collaboration. Scientists from partner institutions are encouraged to undertake research projects with each other. Funding is given to individuals who plan to take part in a specific international project. North American universities should refer their German partner(s) to the above website for more information.
  • Trans-Coop
    The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation supports transatlantic research cooperation among German, American and/or Canadian scholars (Ph.D. required) in the humanities, social sciences, economics, and law by means of the TransCoop Programme. Joint research initiatives can receive up to EUR 45.000 (currently about US$ 59,000) each over a three-year period. Prerequisite is that the amount granted by TransCoop is matched by funds from US and/or Canadian sources.